Dr. Narrod will be a guest speaker at the upcoming International Food Safety Conference on ‘Food Safety and Security under Climate Change’ in Penang, Malaysia. This year the focus will be on various food safety issues with a focus on emerging economies.
This conference aims to deliberate elements of food safety as an integral
component of food security in emerging economies in order to enhance
quality of life.
• Food Safety Impact on Food Security
• Food Safety Risk Analysis
• Hazards Control (Microbiological and Chemical Contamination)
• Health Impact (Public Health)
• Trade & Policy (Economics, Regulations)
• Food Quality & Sustainability
• Logistics & Food Traceability
• Consumer Perception of Food Safety
• Public- Private Partnership in Food Safety
• Food Safety, Environment, Carbon Footprints & Climate Change
• Emerging Food Safety Issues
• Case Study on Food Safety-Food Security
Dr. Narrod is the Risk Analysis Program Manager at the Joint Institute for Food Safety (JIFSAN) and Applied Nutrition at University of Maryland. She received her Ph.D. in Energy Management and Environmental Policy in 1997 and a Master's Degree in International Development and Appropriate Technology both from the University of Pennsylvania. From 1998-2000 she was an American Association for the Advancement of Science Risk Analysis Fellow. In the past she has worked at the International Food Policy Research Institute, United States Department of Agriculture, and the Food and Agriculture Organization. Recent research interests have been to identify cost-effective risk reduction measures for economically disadvantaged producers in developing countries. Currently she is working to develop metrics to evaluate the impact of JIFSAN's food safety train-the-trainers programs. She has field experience in Brazil, China, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, Thailand, Mali, Mexico, Vietnam, and Zambia.